All online theory courses are delivered by Navathome, an RYA Recognised Training Centre specialising in online training. The Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Offshore Advanced theory training course is for more experienced skippers building on the Day Skipper course. This course equips you to navigate safely on coastal and offshore passages. This course will take your theory knowledge to the standard required for the Yachtmaster™ Coastal and Yachtmaster™ Offshore practical exams, concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills.
Students should be in possession of the practical and theoretical knowledge up to Day Skipper level.
The online course takes approximately 60 hours, given that everyone learns at their own pace. There is an initial 6 months time limit to complete the course with a further 6 month extension available at a cost of an additional £30 fee.
- Access to the online course for a period of 6 months
- A course pack including a chart, Breton plotter, dividers, course handbook, exercises and an electronic chart plotter simulator download. Please read the shipping information prior to booking.
- Email support from one of Navathome’s instructors.
- RYA certification issued by Navathome upon successful completion of the course, namely the RYA Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Offshore Theory certificate.
- The basics of seamanship
- The essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- Electronic charts
- Position fixing
- Plotting a course to steer
- Weather forecasting and meteorology
- Collision regulations
- Construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- Emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts