RYA Yachtmaster Offshore. A fasttrack from Zero to Hero
The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore track is the original comprehensive, professional seamanship, training program. Designed for (future) professionals and those who want to build their sailing skillset. If you already have sailing experience the track can be adapted in consultation with the principle or chief instructor. Please contact our office for advise!
How does it work
With full Royal Yachting Association (RYA) recognition, it is run by an experienced team of yachting instructors. We can ensure that the highest possible standard of instruction is given to each individual. Students selected for this intensive track can expect to receive quality training. From day one you will be working towards the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster® Offshore qualification. The track consists of theory courses, practical courses and milesbuilders to consolidate new learned skills. You will sail on board a variety of yachts, learn good practical seamanship, with a constant improvement of knowledge and above all vital skippering skills allowing you to gain a wide base of experience. You are responsible for your own learning curve and we will coach you by all means.
We show students the intricacies of navigation, meteorology, safety, electronics, use of radar and the rules regarding avoidance of collisions at sea. The Zero to Hero Fasttrack is for those who are committed to establishing a career in the marine industry and for those looking for a career break. It is not just a series of RYA courses put together, but a careful mixture of programme learning, technical instruction and the all important skipper experience building. We combine this with regular evaluation of your progress during the week and in the end from different points of view.
The exam in the end
Our advice is to make adequate seamiles and qualifiing passages before the Yachtmaster prepweek. An external RYA examiner ultimately assesses whether you are sufficiently at the required level. It is therefore advisable to appear well prepared for the exam in one go. Before the start of the exam there is a 5-day prep week: that is a preparatory training to acquire the latest specific knowledge and fine-tune the skills just before the exam. As a rule, there is not enough time to deal with new topics.
Steps you can take to get there
From Start Yachting to Competent Crew to Day Skipper. The day skipper is good for your fundamental skippering skills and boat handling exercises on tidal waters. After that you can consolidate your new acquired skills with milesbuilders. The Coastal Skipper course is training, milebuilding and the first 60 miles passages with pilotage. After this you can consolidate this again your new acquired skills with more milesbuilders ( >1500).
During the first training we can practically assess where you are in the scheme. You can phone us for more advise or questions. Down here you will find different overviews of steps to be taken. This is an impression with the minimal requirements of the FastTrack
|Course or Training||start/end||days||miles||price|
|0||Start Yachting, With basic sailing experience
|1||RYA Competent Crew Course||5||100||995|
|2||RYA Day Skipper - Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Theory (40 uur)
|3||RYA Day Skipper training (start RYA syllabus)||i.o.||5||100||995|
|4||Training/milesbuilder, example: English East Coast||i.o.||6||250||895|
|5||RYA Coastal Skipper course||i.o.||5||100||995|
|6||Training / 60 nm Passages , example: Britain||i.o.||7||350||995|
|7||Training / 60 nm Passages , example: Britain||i.o.||8||400||1095|
|8||Training/milesbuilder, Pilotage example: other||i.o.||10||450||1365|
|9||Training/ Pilotage, Boathandling or extra miles?||i.o.||5||150||895|
|10||Estemated Own Miles
|11||RYA Short Range Certificate ( +-20 uur)
|12||RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance Course||Harlingen||1||145|
|13||RYA First Aid dag Harlingen||Harlingen||1||175|
|14||Yachtmaster Offshore prep (5)+ exam(2)
|Excl Exam Fee|
|Your price with us will be
Short Explanation for these steps to be taken
- RYA Competent Crew course for beginners and those who would like to become active crew members rather than just passengers.
- Theory online course to do at home
- RYA Day Skipper course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills.
- Mile builder to put Day Skipper Skills in practice.
- RYA Coastal Skipper course with advanced skippering techniques for yachtsmen and women with considerable knowledge of sailing and navigation.
- Qualifying milesbuilders, 60' Passages pilotages on tidal harbours by day and night after Coastal Skipper.
- Qualifying milesbuilders,
- Qualifying milesbuilders,
- Close quarters Boat Handling, Boat maneuversSkippering Experiences
- Qualifying milesbuilders,
- RYA Short Range Certificate online and make an appointment for exam in classroom. required for YM-C or YM-O exam
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance Course, Classroom course
- RYA First Aid dag Harlingen Classroom course required for YM-C or YM-O exam
- Yachtmaster Offshore Prep & Exam.(5+2) - 5 days final preperation Tailor-made to your specific needs and exam (You have had the advice that you are ready for it)
- 2 days exam
Prices are for 2023 These are the minimum requirements. The theory for Day-Skipper must be sufficient for the practical part of the Day-Skipper The theory for Coastal-Skipper must be sufficient for the practical part of the Coastal-Skipper. Ready knowledge of all theory is required to complete the exam with any result. In addition, the result depends on the progress shown.
More information on the seperate RYA courses can be found on the RYA scheme page.