However you decide to take the course, it offers a great introduction to navigation and safety awareness for new or inexperienced skippers and crew, and those wanting to refresh their skills.
In fact it's for anyone interested in sailing, motor boating, sea angling or diving, and works well in complementing our on-the-water training, such as the Powerboat Level 2, Start Yachting and Helmsman courses. It's a highly informative course with lots of opportunities for you to put your new found knowledge into practice. If you decide to take the course online, you will find many interactive exercises to help reinforce the information and lots of chances to try out what you've learned.
- Essential navigation ( this course)
- Day Skipper theory
- Coastal Skipper/ Yachtmaster theory
Course topics include:
• Charts and Publications • Safety • Engine checks • Buoyage • Tidal awareness • Visual and electronic navigation • Pilotage • Rules of the road • Anchoring • Weather forecasts • Passage planning
You will receive a course pack which includes a chart, plotter, dividers, course handbook, exercises and access to the online plotter
The RYA Online Essential Navigation and Seamanship Course is an inspiring online course for anyone interested in sailing, motor boating, sea angling or diving - or pretty much anything else on the water! The course is a basic introduction to navigation, seamanship and safety and falls below Day Skipper Theory within the RYA training scheme. It is ideal for users of small boats such as RIBs and dayboats such as those used by anglers. Its also a great course for those who are currently crewing on yachts and want to learn a little more before eventually progressing to the full Day Skipper courses. See below for details of how to register for the online course.
Top 10 reasons to take the online course
1. Flexibility - anytime, anywhere, at your own speed
2. Suitable for all - new crews through to budding skippers;
3. Safety Essentials - all the essential knowledge for going afloat
4. Simplicity - easy to use, interactive and full of great graphics
5. Supporting your knowledge - an ideal accompaniment to your practical course
6. Stepping stone - a great starting point for more advanced courses
7. Real skills - use real skills alongside online technology
8. Best advice - written by top RYA instructors, created by award winning designers
9. Learn it, try it, test it - practice what you’ve learnt before taking the test
10. Be part of it - the RYA’s 1st fully interactive online course
The RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship Course aims to introduce the basic concepts of inshore navigation and safety in an easy to understand and enjoyable format. During the course you will be introduced to the basics of navigation including tidal awareness, charts, almanacs and the use of electronic navigation aids such as GPS. You will be taught about harbour entry and departure pilotage including knowledge of buoyage and a basic understanding of the Collision Regulations so you know who has right of way! Time will also be spent looking at sources of weather information and what impact this could have on your passage. Towards the end of the course you will put all this information together to plan an actual passage. You will also learn more about what safety equipment you should carry and how it is used.